20010626: gridded radar data

Gregg,

Yes, the templates for our release are the same as the NCEP release.
The datatype.tbl file supports the NN template, and the FL_ routines
which dcgrib, gdradr and other programs I write use support the NN template
as well.

I have been keeping 1 day's worth of GDRADR grids per file, instead of
individual files for each grid. The main problem with having directories
with lots of files is the limitation of the number of file names searched
in NMAP due to array sizes in gd_cycl calls.

I have't had much feedback on GDRADR from universities. It may be that many
sites can't handle receiving all the NEXRAD data for creating composites.
I don't know if many are using the 10km HAXA00 KWBC composite either.

The only advantage to using the SDUS4x RCM data is that the meso-cyclone,
tvs, direction and top data are in the data set.

The main drawback with the RCM data is you only get VIP levels. The
ability to create composites from the NEXRAD data allows you to composite
more than reflectivity. I still have many users who are using older
releases of GEMPAK, so they don't have GDRADR though.

I'm working on some web tutorial pages which show examples of using the gridded
data with other data sets for precipitation type displays, clutter filtering
etc. which might make the gridding more interesting for sites.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support