20010524: Iowa RWIS

Brandon,

We have no trouble with multiple departments on campus using our software.

You may want to consult with Bill Gallus on your campus since he is
probably familiar with many aspects of your questions below:

>*  Bill Gallus                               *
>*  Associate Prof. of Meteorology            *
>*  Dept. of Geological and Atmospheric Sci.  *
>*  3025 Agronomy Hall                        *
>*  Iowa State University                     *
>*  Ames, IA 50011                            *
>*  (phone) 515-294-2270                      *
>*  (fax)   515-294-2619                      *

Your university can receive the LDM NEXRAD feed data for any/all of
the radar data on NOAAPORT. That would include adding the 2 additional
sites mentioned below. In general, our goal for the IDD is to have
departments within a university coordinate feeds so that duplicate data sets are
not crossing the campus network unnecessarily.

GEMPAK cannot reproject single site NEXRAD products as images. Rather, any data
can be mapped to the image projection.

You can create GEMPAK gridded data sets from NEXRAD images and the gridded data
can be projected into any map projection and/or overlayed with other data sets.
See the gdradr examples at:
http://motherlode.ucar.edu/unidata/images/nids/gdradr.html

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support