20010420: Help with GARP on Linux Platform

Talbot Brooks <address@hidden> asked:

> <Question>
> >ntl
> Warning: Cannot convert string
> "-*-Menu-Medium-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1"
> ResourceFile: /huser/gempak/resource/Ntop
> graphic,satellite,radar --33 95 20
>      Request total # of colors = 148
> X Error of failed request: 86(X_AllocColorCells)
> Value in failed request: 0x0
> Serial number of failed request: 349
> Current serial number in output stream: 349
> >

> The offending box is a Dell OptiPlex GX110 with Linux RedHat 7.0 (installed
> by Dell).  I've set the resolution to 1024.
>
> Can you help me get this running for these guys?  I'm new to Linux and
> Gempak, so explicit instruction would be helpful if available.
> </Question>

Talbot,

GEMPAK requires that you use an 8 bit (pseudocolor) visual as the default
visual. Your output above appears to show that you are running with a
24 bit (TrueColor) visual.

To check your X display, you can use the "xdpyinfo" program.

You should be able to configure your display preferences using the
linuxconfig or kdmconfig utility.

Also from our support archives regarding starting the X server:
<snip>
For users starting X from the command line using a command like startx or
kde, the simple answer is to append two dashes followed by a space, a
dash, and then the desired color depth to the end of the command line. For
example:

startx -- -bpp 8

will set the color depth to 8 bit. The command:

startx -- -bpp 16

will set it to 16 bit

Note that the next time X is started (assuming that no arguments are
given), the defaul color depth will once again be used.

To change the default color depth at which X is started, check for
occurances of the "DefaultColorDepth" keyword in the XF86Config file
(usually stored in /etc or /etc/X11) and change the number following the
keyword to the depth desired. Be sure to chance all occurances of the
keyword in the file.

Source:
http://www.linux.about.com/compute/linux/library/weekly/aa110899q-a.htm

From Cristina Lozej <address@hidden>
</snip>

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support
(303)497-8644                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/