20010126: RADAR Level-III

>From: "Glenn Rutledge" <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>Still having problems with the RADAR plot.  Finally got executables to
>work (OS issues).  But I call up the NIDS set and all I get is the map
>background for that site with a DTG label that looks correct, and it
>loops thru, but no data is displayed.
>
>Some background here:  I wanted the 5.6a to be current.  However we have
>a patch that already de-compresses the RADAR data on the NRS.   Will
>your code work with already uncompressed Radar data?  Thx, Glenn

Glenn,

GEMPAK will display standard (not compressed) NIDS images if they either:
1) have no transmission header such as the WSI products
2) have a 2 line WMO and AWIPS pil header like the products at:
ftp://weather.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/

So, you either have to strip off all the junk that preceeds the actual
NIDS product, or make sure you are storing them the same way as the above site.

For example, looking at the BREF1 product:
ftp://weather.noaa.gov/SL.us008001/DF.of/DC.radar/DS.p19r0/SI.kftg/sn.0000

% od -c sn.0000 | more
0000000   S   D   U   S   5   5       K   B   O   U       2   5   1   1
0000020   1   3  \r  \r  \n   N   0   R   F   T   G  \r  \r  \n  \0 023
0000040   ,   T  \0  \0 236  \b  \0  \0   6 350 001   [ 002 003  \0 003

The product looks like:
SDUS55 KBOU 251113 \r \r \n
N0RFTG \r \r \n
<NIDS product starts>

If the SDUS5 header is found at the start of the product, the code
skips past the first 2 lines to get to the actual NIDS product.

Steve Chiswell