20010102: NAWIPS on Athlon/Mandrake box

Bob,

If he is running a binary release, and only GUIs don't work,
then it sounds like there might be a problem with MOTIF.
This could be a problem with different X servers, or local MOTIF conflict.
Or, could be a font server issue if he doesn't have all the fonts installed on
the system that MOTIF wants to use. Or, copuld be as simple as not having
enough resources for large arraysa in some of those programs.

If he is building locally, then I'd look at what MOTIF he was using.

I have found that the deluxe edition of RedHat 7.x now supplies
"openMotif" as a package. We don't have this installed yet, but will
test it as soon as we can buy it. If this works, then more sites will be able to
build under Linux locally. The "lesstif" 0.xx distribution from GNU is
definitely not the answer since they do not provide the full MOTIF
functionality. Some library calls only are stubs, and don't do anything.

Best thing to do would be to run the programs under gdb to see where
the program is crashing.

Steve