20001220: Missing library archive members under DEC

David,

The "randomness" of this problem appears to have something to do with
disk writes being cached. Since it is appears random, I don't think that
the Makefiles themselves are leading to the problem.

The build can go into a directory, build the files and run "ar" to
add them to the gemlib.a file. Then, make goes into the next directory
and does the same. It appears that the disk write from "ar" may not have
flushed to the disk, and when the next "ar" occurs, the previous information
is lost.

This is not a parallel make, so "ar" should not return until it is done,
which the logs indicate is true. I find that the missing objects were added to
the archive file in the logs, but then don't appear later.
The build is already faster now that the Makefiles use the -I for
fortran compilation instead of creating the symbolic links.

Maybe Harry knows if DEC has some disk caching I/O tuning parameters.
The CPU seems to want to go ahead without the disk activity.

Steve Chiswell