20001215: 20001210: 20001202: Gempak

>From: Diana DeRubertis <address@hidden>

>Hi Steve,
>       It would be great if you could create a binary tarfile of what is
>needed to run some of the sounding programs.  I will be using the
>"Radiosonde Data of North America" from the NCDC and think that I may need
>a few other programs/commands to work with this data ( like DCUAIR, SNFILE,
>SNTSER).  I know that the radiosonde data is compressed and requires
>special software to access it.  I assume that GEMPAC can decode the data,
>but only after it has be uncompressed?
>
>What do you think?
>
>Also, if you can create a tarfile, could you send it to me (dianamd@socrates)
>and also address@hidden.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>Diana

>Diana DeRubertis
>Dept of Geography
>University of California, Berkeley
>Office:  199 McCone Hall
>Email:  address@hidden

Diana,

The NCDC programs typically do not dump the data out in the same format
as the realtime data that dcuair decodes. In the past, I have provided a simple
program to get the data into GEMPAK format from the FSL format that
NCDC's program can output to.

The one thing you did not mention above is what operating system
you will be using which I will need to know for creating a binary
distribution.

I have the 1946-1992 4 CD set from NCDC that I can test things out on
so that I can try to provide you some instructions on how to proceed.

Steve Chiswell