20001215: NAWIPS and RedHat 7.0

>From: Robert Ballentine <address@hidden>

>Steve:
>   I tried to install NAWIPS-5.4/GARP2.1 on a Dell computer which
>came with Red Hat Linux 7.0 installed.  After configuring the
>directories for NAWIPS and adding a gempak user with csh, I was
>unable to get ntl to run.  It kept saying 'command not found'
>even when I was in the nawips/exe/linux directory.  I didn't think
>to try ./ntl, but I had another problem.
>   I was able
>to get garp to run just by typing garp.  However, when I tried to
>display a satellite loop under garp, all of the frames were blank.
>I was able to display model graphics under garp. All of the gempak
>environment variables seemed to be set properly.
>   Do you know if there is a conflict of some sort between Red Hat
>7.0 and NAWIPS-5.4?  I'm surprised that garp wouldn't display the
>sat pix.  I've never had that problem with RedHat 5.2 or 6.2.
>   Bob Ballentine

Bob,
If garp is showing blank frames for satellite images, then the problem
is generally not enough colors available. If yopu are running
Gnome, try using KDE instead as the window manager since gnome eats colors.
Also, if you have that file manager running, then try closing that (and any
other
color intensive application).

Are you installing the binary distribution I provided? If you are not
finding NTL, then maybe you ran out of disk space while unpacking, or
check the executable permissions on the file. Type "which ntl" to make
sure that it is in your path. Make sure you have edited Gemenviron and set
the NAWIPS location and sourced the Gemenviron file.

These are some of the things to check. Ntl will tell you if you don't have
enough colors provided it is on your system.

Steve Chiswell