20001121: NMAP2 and NSHARP

>From: <address@hidden>

>I drove up to Palestine last weekend to repair a computer and while
>I was there got GEMPAK 5.6 up and going on our Solaris x86
>machine.  I noticed while trying to use NSHARP and NMAP2
>that I seemed to be missing a configuration somewhere.  When
>NSHARP started it wanted to look for upa files in
>/data/ldm/gempak/upperair..which is not where ours are.  Is there
>a config file to tell NSHARP whre to look?  It found the model
>data off the bat.
>
>Also, I can't seem to tell NMAP2 where to find model data.  I click
>on the list of models avn, eta..etc and it does not find the data
>so I can click accept and load it. GARP finds the files with no problem.
>
>Thanks,
>Robert Mullenax
>
>NSBF/NMSU

Robert,

The NSHARP resource file is in $NAWIPS/resource/Nsharp.
For sounding data location, see the line:
Nsharp*obssndg_sel.pattern

The NMAP class entries in $GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl are the names used
to reference the data sets defined in the template file
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl.

NMAP looks through the mod_res.tbl file and collects a list of all the MODELS
listed throughout the file. If a model is used anywhere in the file, it
is provided as a choice for the gridded data sets popup window. If the data
set is selected from the popup, then the template file is used to find the
directory and file naming conventions used for the data set.

For instance, in NMAP2, if you select "GRID" from the data source popup,
and then select "eta" as the model, the $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl line
used is:
ETA     $MODEL  YYYYMMDDHH_eta211.gem     CAT_GRD  SCAT_FCT   -1   -1  -1

This configuration tells NMAP to look for the grid files in the directory
named $MODEL for files matching the pattern YYYYMMDDHH_eta211.gem.

All you probably need to do is define "MODEL" in your Gemenviron file
to be the same directory as "HDS". Garp expects all of the grid data
to be in a single directory which is set in Garp_defaults as:
grids           : $(HDS)
The datatype.tbl file will allow gridded data for nmap to be in
any number of separate directories, though here, its assumed that
$MODEL and $HRS are the same directory (actually hrs is a symbolic link
to models on our data system).

Steve Chiswell