And now, the rest of the story

Well, maybe not. But here's what I did. I called Al Cox, Alden's COO.
I didn't hold back. Here's what's going on, according to him.

First, the DiFAX situation...according to him, the NWS is down and having
trouble with it. To verify this, I called some people at DTN/Kavouras I
know and they aren't getting any data either. They say the NWS is having
networking problems, so although they are producing maps (which is why the
NWS weather.gov server has them), they can't route them out of the
building via other methods. It isn't Alden.

The T1 line, for you KU band dish users, was broken at the NWS. They say
they will be back up by Monday.

Why the automated phone response? He says they were inundated with calls,
and they put the phone system on "emergency autopilot" to keep the volume
down since they have no new information beyond that. They're not answering
phones at the customer service lines, so that they can keep their techs
free to do other stuff, from what he seemed to say.

I won't comment here further.

Yeah, I will.

How in the world can a T1 be down for two weeks? Verio.net did that to
NIU for one day, didn't bother to apologize, and we dumped 'em like a sack
of potatoes years ago.

Internet: address@hidden    (My opinions only!)                     ******
E-mail: address@hidden                                 ***