Re: [idvusers] Plot isosurface with ascii file (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:24:28 -0700
From: Stuart Wier <address@hidden>
To: Sung-Joon Chang <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: [idvusers] Plot isosurface with ascii file

Sung-Joon,

Dear all,

I'm a neophyte who wants to use IDV to plot velocity isosurface in the mantle with tomographic results.
I have ascii data with columns of lat, lon, depth and velocity.
However, I couln't find information about how to convert ascii data to grid data (*.nc) to plot isosurface in userguide.
There is only practice to plot isosurface with preexisted grid data.

I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know how to plot isosurface with this kind of ascii data.
Thank you in advance.

One way is to use "UNAVCO's Interactive ASCII to NetCDF Data File Format Converter for 2D and 3D Gridded Data"
see http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/Converter/

See also the web page "Using the NetCDF Data Format for Seismic Tomography"
http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_seismic_tomo_data.html,

and the general material "NetCDF Data for the GEON IDV"
http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_for_GEON_netcdf.html

You probably know about "Using the GEON IDV to Explore Seismic Tomography"
http://geon.unavco.org/unavco/IDV_datasource_tomo.html

Stuart Wier

UNAVCO

  Sung-Joon Chang