RE: Fw: decoders] Grib1 Indexer and GDS info (fwd)

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Bali, Pelin wrote:

Robb,

I've been registered to address@hidden and I was sending my
questions to 'address@hidden' all the time. I don't know how
it is being handled from there and how it falls into your spam. I
started to think that you were ignoring my messages. <:)

After sending this message, I made a little change in my code to read
Grib1GridDefinitionSection.params field to get HashMap of the
parameters. This helped me to get all the information I needed. However,
in the grib1 index file, the Dx and Dy fields of the grid definition
section was still displaying wrong numbers. My colleague and I started
looking into the Grib1GridDefinitionSection.java. In the section where
the information obtained from octets 24-25 (Dx) and octets 26-27(Dy or
np), they were being read as "short". We changed them to read by using
GribNumbers.int2 method (please see the following code snippet). It
started spitting out the correct numbers.

Sincerely,

Pelin Bali.

Pelin,

Here's my findings so far, the only time readSHort returns a wrong value is the missing value scenario. ie when byte 1 and 2 = 255. readShort returns -0.0010 and GribNumbers.int2 return -9999. Is this what you are seeing? If not could you make available a file that i can test.

thanks,
robb...

                case 202 :

             // octets 18-20 (La2 - latitude of last grid point)
             lat2 = GribNumbers.int3(raf) / 1000.0;

             // octets 21-23 (Lo2 - longitude of last grid point)
             lon2 = GribNumbers.int3(raf) / 1000.0;

             // octets 24-25 (Dx - Longitudinal Direction Increment )
             //------------------------------------------------------
             // This is where we made the change.
             //-------------------------------------------------------
             //dx = raf.readShort() / 1000.0;
             dx = GribNumbers.int2(raf) / 1000.0;

             // octets 26-27 (Dy - Latitudinal Direction Increment )
             //               Np - parallels between a pole and the
equator
             if (type == 4) {
               //  np = raf.readShort();
             np = GribNumbers.int2(raf);
             } else {
               //  dy = raf.readShort() / 1000.0;
             dy = GribNumbers.int2(raf) / 1000.0;
             }

//-----------------------------------------------------------
             // End of our changes.
             //
             // octet 28 (Scanning mode)  See Table 8
             scan = raf.read();
             // octet 29-32 reserved
             reserved = raf.readInt();
             if (P_VorL != 255) {