Re: New Ticket - [netCDFDecoders !FEG-733021]: Problem reading ECMWF Grib file

Hi Robb-

Robb Kambic wrote:
Just to clarify,  quasi regular grids are supported in Grib2. the NCEP
grids have started the change to Grib2, it is expected to have all grids
changed by the 1st quarter 2007.  Don, i suspect eumetsat should have a
schedule close to NCEP.

Thanks for the clarification - I was wondering about that.  When
you say "quasi regular grids are supported in Grib2" do you mean
that your Grib decoder supports that?

While the centers may be moving toward Grib2 for realtime distribution,
there are vast amounts of archived data at NCDC, ECMWF and other
centers that are in grib 1.  Since THREDDS is supposed to provide a
mechanism for accessing archived as well as realtime data, it seems
prudent to support the quasi regular grids in Grib 1 as well as Grib2.
The file in question came from the ECMWF archives and is from
October, 2003.  That's not the first queries we've gotten on
these (and probably won't be the last).

Perhaps we can add this to the items for discussion.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm