Re: space products

Hi all,

WHen I look at the file attached by HansPeter (HP GRIB.001) it looks
fine to me.  The GRIB part can be found after the first 899 bytes.  The
remaining part (GRIB to 7777, inclusive) is 803521 bytes long, which is
as indicated in octets 9 to 16 of Section 0.

The users who have been looking at the data have received it via
EUMETCast, and also via ftp from me.  Maybe some got data from the
UMARF, but I don't get to hear about them.  I think that as long as a
decoder looks through a file and pulls out GRIB (or BUFR) messages
before decoding, then it doesn't matter how they are packed into files.

Simon

Dr Simon Elliott
Product Implementation Manager
Operations Department
EUMETSAT
tel: (+49) 6151 807385
fax: (+49) 6151 807304

>>> HansPeter Roesli <address@hidden> 17/11/2006 09:37:39 >>>
Hi Simon and Robb

After having read Simon's first reaction I got a slight doubt about
what
I did. Actually, the file Robb is mentioning is not the original file
as
retrieved from EUMETSAT's archive U-MARF (you find that now attached).

The original file is refused right away by IDV. Therefore, I chopped
off
the ASCII header with an editor and that is the file Robb is using.
Might be that my editor changed things inside the GRIB-7777 clause when

I was pruning the file. So, Robb please check again with the attached
file which has leading bytes (EUMETSAT's ASCII header) before the bytes

spelling GRIB.

Also, Simon, when you are saying that other centres are not having
decoding problems, are they getting the data from EUMETCast/GTS or from

U-MARF. I am using exclusively U-MARF retrieved products. Might be
there
is a problem with archived data?

HP

Simon Elliott wrote:
> Hello Robb,
>
> HansPeter has asked me to contact you directly as I am responsible
for
> the generation of the GRIB2 data from EUMETSAT.  I am interested to
read
> about the extra characters you found inside hte message.  As I'm
sure
> you can imagine, we have exchanged the data with other centres using
> different software and they have yet to spot this problem.
>
> I suspect either (i) the GRIB data have been chopped up for
> dissemination and not been properly re-assembled into the original
> message, or (ii) at some stage the data have been transferred with
ASCII
> FTP ... this happens quite often.
>
> If you could send me the file you mention, or make it availabel for
FTP