Re: problems with NAM 211 netCDF file

Thanks, Robb!

Robb Kambic wrote:
On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Don Murray wrote:

Hi Guys-

Gary Lackman (User Comm member) was trying to load in
isosurfaces of aboslute vorticity from the NAM 211 netCDF files
cataloged at:

http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/idv/rt-models.1.0.xml

He selects this data source, but when he loads it into the
IDV, no display shows up.  The problem is twofold:

- the netCDF file has the vertical coordinate as level which
are pressure levels every 50 mb.  Absolute vorticity only
comes in on 5 levels (1000, 850, 700, 500, 250).
- there is only data for 1000 mb in these files.

From a client perspective, I would like to get a grid
that only lists the levels that there is data for (or
supposed to be).  Can the CDL be changed to have a
vertical coordinate for absvor which is different from
level?

For the second problem, there appears to be a decoding
issue.  If I use the grib1 files in the motherlode thredds
catalog, I get the correct vertical dimension (5 levels).
Can one of you look into this issue?

problem was pqact entry was wrong for the netCDF file, ie

for raw grib  HRS     ^[YZ].(Q)... KWB.

for netCDF    HRS     ^Y.(Q)... KWB.

fixed on motherlode

robb...

As discussed in the user comm meeting, these types of issues
get blamed on the IDV since we are the window to the data
repository.

Thanks.

Don
address@hidden                        P.O. Box 3000
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/staff/donm
        "Time makes everyone interesting, even YOU!"