Re: 20050218: General Support - Is there a GRIB2 to netcdf converter?

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: "David K. Larson" <address@hidden>
> >Subject: General Support - Is there a GRIB2 to netcdf converter?
>
> Institution: NGIT
> Package Version: 1.0
> Operating System: Cygwin under Windows 2000, RH Linux
> Hardware Information: CPU 2.5G, 40G hardrive
> Inquiry: I've run across references to a grib2 to netcdf
> converter but can't find related software. Does
> anyone know if this converter exists? If it does
> where can I find it?

dave,

yes, there is a Grib22Netcdf convertor.  actually i've been holding back
the release because the the output size of the files are huge and the
format of the NetCDF file is in CF conventions.  the expansion rate is
typically 1 -> 20, but there has been some files containing many missing
data so the expansion is 1 -> 60  For instance a 12 meg NDFD ended up 625
megs.  some of the reason is the output file structure which will be
worked on in the future. also, i don't know if the software reading the
netCDF can handle the CF conventions?  on the positive side, the decoder
is written in java so it should run on most system w/o any work except
java 1.4.2 being installed. the Grib22Netcdf is a command line version but
there is also a gui version called ToolsUI that is currently released with
Java Web Start. it's located at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/netcdf-java/v2.1/webstart/index.html

this is a tool which was really developed to test our code not really a
end product.  there's really isn't any documentation but click on
GeoGrids, enter Grib2 product, show GeoGrid.  then click Ncml Writer and
write netcdf.  if you pay around with the gui, there's a  lot info about
the Grib2 file.  Let me know how it works for you.

robb...