Re: NetCDF library problems (fwd)

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Russ Rew wrote:

> Robb,
>
> Do you know anything about the problem described in this email with
> the Perl netCDF interface not working with Perl 5.8?  Have you come up
> with some sort of workaround for this problem to use with your perl
> decoders?

Russ, et al.

Yes, there is a bug in perl 5.8.0 that doesn't have any work around. The
decoders appear to be working ok then usual behavior happens and no
recovery is possible. Currently, the decoders are being tested on perl
5.8.4 on a Linux box. The decoders have run w/o problems for a couple of
days but sometimes it takes as much as 4 days before the problems appear.
The solution is to upgrade to perl 5.8.4  More comments below.

> --Russ

There is either a bug in netcdf-perl or in the your routine calling
netcdf-perl. It would help if I could look at your code  with some
sample data to test.

> 2) The updated NetCDF perl does NOT compile on our system. Or many others.

What systems: boxes/os's

> 3) The guy who would fix this says he's overcommitted and that this is a low
> priority (as in "this is not going to be fixed anytime soon"):
> http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support/help/MailArchives/netcdf-perl/msg00120.html
>
> 4) The PDL (Perl Data Language) NetCDF interface does correctly handle byte
> variables. I've tested all of this on a couple test NetCDFs Linda made for
> me.

Are you saying, byte vars are handled correctly but array of bytes are
not?

Robb...