Re: multiple record frames

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Lori Thompson wrote:

> Robb-
>
> I wrote earlier to the mailing list regarding hurricane Isabel data that I
> was converting from GRIB to NetCDF. Apparently, the GRIB data has a time
> range, which gribtocdl doesn't handle that well. As a result, the
> conversion from grib => netcdf produced an extra record frame with blank
> data. To solve this, I edited the cdl output from gribtocdl and modified
> valtime_offset to be equal to 1 rather than 2 in the dimension section and
> changed it from 0, $time to $time in the data section. However, this does
> not seem to work with my new dataset. It shows a valtime_offset of 1
> but the record dimension shows 2. An example grib data file is attached.

Lori,

The problem is the data in the file has more than one reference time, ie

reftime = 41592, 41592, 41591
datetime =
  "1996-09-29 00:00:00Z",
  "1996-09-29 00:00:00Z",
  "1996-09-28 23:00:00Z" ;

gribtonc was written for model data with one reference time with offsets
to forecast times.  I believe it was the PRECIP parameter with the
1996-09-28 23:00:00Z reference time. If you remove the PRECIP data then
you  can get the results that you want.

Robb...