Re: 20031003: gribtocdl not writing data

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Lori Thompson wrote:

> So the cdl file only contains information on the coordinates and not
> the data for the variables?

Lori,

That's correct, cdl are only template files for the netCDF files.

I have done ascii to NetCDF conversions
> where the cdl file takes the form:
>
> data:
> lev = ;
> lon = ;
> lat = ;
> var1 = ;
> var2 = ;
> .
> .
> .
> varn = ;
> }
>
> So are you saying that gribtocdl will create a cdl file with only:
> data:
> lev = ;
> lon = ;
> lat = ;
> }
>
> I used gribtonc following gribtocdl and received the error message:
> ncgen: isabel13l.2003091100.grib3rd.f00.cdl line 258: too many values for
> this variable, 225 >= 225
>
> This is referring to the lon points which have 226. The same is true for
> lat. I manually removed the extra lon/lat points and reran gribtonc and
> received a segmentation fault. I did this for 225 and 224 point.

I hate to say this but gribtocdl isn't perfect becasue there are so many
variations of GRIB files, it's used as a starting point as you found out.
Deleting the extra lat/lon points etc was the correct thing to do.

If you send me the cdl file and a grib product, I'll take a look at it.
Also what version of the decoders package are you using?  One version did
do segmentation fault on some GRIB products but I thought it was fixed.
This could be a good test case for me.

Robb...