Re: GRIB2 to netCDF decoder?

Russ,

I was just looking up the info about grib2, probably should attend the
AMS session pertaining to grib2 to get the current status. It sounds like
the NWS isn't going to completley change to grib2 until 2006.  The NWS has
pages on the GRIB2 decoder/encoder at:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/tdl/iwt/grib2/decoder.htm

Since the docs are in wordperfect, I'll have to wait to read them.

Here's what I'm planning; to start doing research on GRIB2 because it
going to have a place in THREDDS because GRIB2 is going to include
metadata in the file. Just, yesterday we were talking about enhancing the
current cdls to include metadata about NCEP models as a starting step. We
haven't flushed out the syntax or structure needed yet.  The areas of
enhancement would be documenting the data model, GIS information, and
temporal information. Also, it might be better to do the GRIB2 decoder in
another language, java perl etc. At this time, I don't want to make any
strong statements that would lead someone to misconceptions.

Robb...