Re: 20020822: ldm-5.2 pqsurf problems on IRIX (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:15:10 +0000
From: Greg Thompson <address@hidden>
To: Celia Chen <address@hidden>
     address@hidden
Subject: Re: 20020822: ldm-5.2 pqsurf problems on IRIX

Christian,

there were long-standing problems with pqsurf like stability
and ability to ingest all METARs (our raw files always had ALL
METARs while our gdbm files always missed some METARs like
Canadian SPECIs).  We had horrible stability issues when we
changed Linux systems from Debian to Red Hat (pqsurf used to
stay alive for weeks at a time then die unexpectedly under
Debian but then it began dying every day or two under Red Hat).
Finally, I couldn't take it any longer and re-wrote the
"metar2nc" Unidata decoder to ingest/decode METARs and populate
a MySQL database.  I spent nearly 150 hours re-writing the
decoder to handle ALL METARs not just the U.S. ones.  This DB
is far, far better than either raw text files or NetCDF files.
You can see the database in action on two websites I maintain:
   http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/
   http://adds.aviationweather.gov/projects/adds/metars/

If you're interested in this technique, I can share the code
with you.  Though it is currently MySQL specific, it would not
take much effort to adapt it to either Oracle, mSQL, PostgresSQL,
or other db systems.

| Greg Thompson       http://www.rap.ucar.edu/~gthompsn/       |
|                     Research Applications Program            |
| (303) 497-2805      National Center for Atmospheric Research |
|    (fax) -8401      P.O. Box 3000  Boulder, CO 80307-3000    |