Re: 19990120: Help with decoders!

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Unidata Support wrote:

> >To: address@hidden
> >From: Jason Burks <address@hidden>
> >Subject: Help with decoders!
>

>      I have downloaded the latest decoders and have been trying to get them
>      to work. The decoder I am interested in is the gribtonc decoder. After
>      Installing the decoders I went to try a sample grib file and the
>      decoder core dumped. I am not sure if the problem is the data file I
>      am using or the program. Do you have any sample grib files and cdl
>      files I could test my gribtonc decoder with?  If not what would cause
>      the decoder to core dump?
>      the error I get is
>      udunits(3): syntax error:
>      /seconds
>         ^
>      Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
>      I noticed if I tried to use another cdl file the program does not core
>      dump. I have a valid cdl, it is the one used in AWIPS!
>      Thanks in advance for your help!
>      Jason Burks

Jason,

Just because the cdl is used with AWIPS doesn't mean it will work/follow
conventions with gribtonc. A simple test would be to test the cdl on the
command line.

% ncgen -o output.nc  awips.cdl

This will create an empty output.nc file with all the define variables or
complain about problems. You will probably have to modify the the
awips.cdl file with the assistance of gribdump utility on the grib file.
gribdump is built along with gribtonc.

Robb...