[Datastream #THN-824571]: Problem with FNEXRAD radar mosaics

Greetings,

Thanks for the report, we'll look into it.

It appears we have the Radar Duration (RADDUR) set for 30 minutes, which is the
setting that defines the time window radar data may be selected from.  Even
though that number happens to be the default value we have it set explicitly,
so as long as good data has been seen from a site within the last half hour
that data should be getting included in the mosaics.

Through my powers of telepathy I know you're using the N0B mosaic for that
product you linked.  I see sites that definitely have scans within the past
half hour not being included in your mosaics, so that much is raising my
eyebrow.  This unfortunately means a fix will not be as simple as adjusting the
RADDUR value.  I'll see if I can narrow down what's happening and if this is
something within our control we'll do our best to address it.  But given that
GEMPAK is the software used to make the mosaic data on the FNEXRAD feed (the
nex2gini program specifically), there is a possibility of a GEMPAK issue that
may be difficult to resolve.  It's too soon to know for sure, but this is the
road I'll be going down.

Best,
-Mike

> Hello,
>
> There is a problem with the UNIDATA-created base reflectivity national mosaic
> product on the FNEXRAD feed. Radar sites randomly appear and disappear,
> causing a "strobing" effect when animated/looped. Time-sensitive: look in the
> northeastern U.S. here to see the issue:
>
> https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=continental-conus-comp_radar-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined
>
> It *appears* as though valid radar data older than 5 minutes is being
> discarded. Can that valid radar data threshold be increased to 12 minutes?
>
> Thank you!

Ticket ID: THN-824571
Department: Support Datastream