[Datastream #SWJ-684609]: Accessing NEXRAD Level 3 data

Hi,

If you're looking for Level 3 data going back that far NCEI might be your best
bet.  But if the Level 2 data on AWS suites your workflow better it sounds like
you've got a plan.

Regarding N0Q vs. N0B, the NWS transitioned away from N0Q to N0B earlier this
year.  N0B products are known as Super-Res because of their increased spatial
resolution, and around February sites began to switch over so you may run into
this on other data sources.  For more information see this Service Change
Notice describing the changeover:
https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/pdf2/scn21-96_sbn_super-res.pdf

Best,
-Mike

> Hello,
>
> I was able to access the Level 3 AWS data, but I've found it only goes back
> to 2020. So, that explains why I wasn't seeing any data on my end, because
> I was searching for 2009. I also checked via Siphon, but I had some issues
> accessing the N0Q data (base reflectivity) and found online that it was
> renamed to N0B. When I validate my query using N0B, it returns False, but
> data actually appears--unlike the query of N0Q that returns True but gives
> me no data. Regardless, THREDDS only appears to contain data from the past
> month. Sadly, I'm looking for data back to 2009. I just don't have the
> computational storage or time to download a boat-load of data and sift
> through it, so I suppose I will stick with Level 2!
>
> Thanks for your help.

Ticket ID: SWJ-684609
Department: Support Datastream