[Datastream #CFS-968979]: GOES-17 problems

Hi Fred,

re:
> The Unidata feed of GOES-17 data has been experiencing missing blocks of
> data within an image.  I have attached an full disk IR image from today
> which shows the problem.

Thanks for reporting this!

re:
> Other web sites which do not get their data
> from Unidata do not show the missing blocks. I would suspect that it is
> a problem with your antenna having a weak signal.

It is definitely not a problem with a weak/degraded signal on our GOES-West
dish.

re:
> I sent you an e-mail
> last month about the same problem, and the next day the problem went
> away.  But it came back after a couple of weeks.

OK.

re:
> Did you fix it last month, or did it go away on its own?

The current problem appears to be related to the upgrade of the OS
on one of our GOES-West ingest machines from CentOS 6 to CentOS 8.
The machine in question is getting its feed from our GOES-West
dish.  The other GOES-West ingest machine is not experiencing problems
and it is getting its feed from a fanout server at UW/SSEC.

The problem a couple of weeks ago was also caused by the upgrade
of the OS from CentOS 6 to CentOS 8, but that problem was on the
machine being fed by the fanout server at UW/SSEC.  The initial
"solution" for that problem was to turn off the sending of images
being created on that machine to SATELLITE IDD feed.  After working
with UW/SSEC, good ingestion was re-established after ingest settings
were tweaked, and we re-enabled those images being sent to the
IDD SATELLITE feed.

After the OS upgrade on the first machine, the second machine was
upgraded to CentOS 8, and a quick check of images show no problems,
so we focused our attention elsewhere (we have a large number of
machines running CentOS 6 that need to get upgraded to CentOS 8).

What we have done currently is turn off the sending of GOES-West
images to the IDD SATELLITE feed while we investigate if we can
work around the problem (which may be system overload after the
OS upgrade).  We may learn that the machine in question needs
to be replaced by a much more capable unit.  We will know more as
we have discussions with UW/SSEC to see if they too have experienced
new problems after upgrades of the OS on their servers.

Ticket ID: CFS-968979
Department: Support Datastream