[Datastream #IFB-871614]: FNEXRAD National Composite Methodology

Hi,

re:
> I'm a PhD student at the University of Connecticut.  I was thinking about
> using FNEXRAD National Composite radar images for a research project, but
> I've been disappointed that there only appears to be a month or so of data
> available.

Since we are not a data center, we only keep about 1 month of any type
of data on our servers.  Unidata community members may be archiving the
FNEXRAD products, so it may be the case that you will be able to access
a much longer set of the data.

re:
> Anyway, to generate more data I think it would be possible to recreate the
> National Composites (for DHR, ETT, DVL, HHC, etc) from individual NEXRAD
> stations,

National composites for the following products are already being created
every 5 minutes and distributed in the LDM/IDD FNEXRAD feed:

N0R
N1P
NTP
DHR
DVL
EET
HHC

The reason you may not be aware of them is they are distributed in the
GINI image format.  The only product that is also distributed in GRIB2
format is N0R.

Here is the URL for the TDS repository of these images:

https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog.html

  Radar Data
  https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/idd/radars.html

    Unidata NEXRAD Composites (GINI)
    https://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/nexrad/composite/gini/catalog.html

re:
> but I'm unsure about the current methods used to create the
> National Composites.  Is there any documentation or articles that you know
> of that describe this product and the methodologies used in more detail?

We use GEMPAK to composite the various products from individual stations.
I believe that a web search will show links to interactions with users
that describe the compositing process.  We can make the scripts we use
available to you if you like.

re:
> Thanks for the help.

No worries.