[Datastream #FCT-186233]: Gap in Satellite Composite

Hi,

re:
> I'm currently studying your Wisconsin Datastream Satellite Imagery, and I'm
> curious about the black gaps in the satellite composites.
>
> Is no data collected for these gaps?

No.  The gaps are a result of stitching together swaths from polar
orbiting satellites as they pass over the pole; the blank areas are
where there were no data for the nominal time of the image.

re:
> Is this intentional or accidental?

Neither.  The gaps are a result of a lack of data only.

re:
> What is the reason for their strange shapes?

There are several videos on YouTube that show how polar orbiting satellite
coverages vary from orbit to orbit.  The one that I saw that visually
explains the gaps can be found by using the following as the key in
a YouTube search:

CryoSat's polar orbit

This video only shows the swath from one satellite.  You need to imagine
swaths from several satellites to get a good idea of why the blank areas
have strange shapes.

re:
> Many thanks,

I hope that this helped!