[Datastream #RHD-489907]: Fwd: [mcidas-x] 20190604: major upcoming change to IDD NIMAGE datastream

Hi,

re:
> We do not seem to be receiving the West Coast GOES data as we normally do.
> I think this has something to do with the transition from GOES-15 to
> GOES-17 as you explained in the 04 June email below.
>
> Can you verify that GOES-15 is offline?

GOES-15 is not offline, and GOES-15 image sectors in GINI format are
still being relayed in the NIMAGE feed in the IDD.

Question:

- who are you REQUESTing the NIMAGE feed from, and what is the
  REQUEST line you are using?

re:
> It seems that we're receiving the new GOES-17 L1b netcdf data from two
> different feeds (DIFAX and FT16).  Please verify if these feeds are the
> same and we'll only grab data from one of them..

The feed known as DIFAX in LDMs prior to current versions and SATELLITE
in more recent LDM versions is the same as FT16.  Here is the LDM page
on the Unidata website that describe the various LDM/IDD feeds:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-current/basics/feedtypes/index.html

re:
> Also, I don't know where to find the GOES-17 L2 netcdf data which we need
> for using GEMPAK to create products.  From your email, it sounded like the
> L2 data would be arriving via NIMAGE but we don't see anything available in
> that feed.

The only Level 2 product that is currently being distributed by NOAA
is the ABI Cloud and Moisture Imagery.  Other Level 2 products have not
yet been released for distribution.  We interpret this to be a result of
the heat pipe cooling problem that is being experienced on GOES-17.

re:
> Anything clarification you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Ticket ID: RHD-489907
Department: Support Datastream