[Datastream #QPR-686814]: HRRR on AWS question

> Hello,

Hello Constantine,

> I am writing you because I currently use NOAA's HRRR model
> data hosted on AWS and Unidata is listed as the manager here:
>
> https://registry.opendata.aws/noaa-hrrr-pds/

Yes, that's us :)

> I am an engineer looking into using some of NOAA's High-Resolution
> Rapid Refresh (HRRR) Model data. I recently found that this data is
> easily accessible on AWS S3 and really like this since the different
> model variables are broken out into separate GRIB files.

Good to hear!

> Last year NOAA updated their HRRR model to version 3 which extends the
> forecast from 18 hours to 36 hours every 6 hours. Does Unidata plan to
> incorporate the extended forecasts into the S3 bucket? Currently the
> forecast is capped at 18 hours.

We do not have any plans currently to do so, but can certainly consider this.
These types of decisions are usually
made at the level of our Users Committee. There next meeting is March 21-22,
here at Unidata. I will bring it up. Generally speaking,
everyone wants more data, all the time. :)

So, it may happen, and if so, it would be shortly after the March 21-22 meeting.

Hope this helps,

> Thank you,
>
> Constantine Karos
> Water Resources Engineer