[Datastream #OIZ-367680]: GOES16 location

Hi Greg,

re:
> This was very helpful, so thank you!

No worries.

re:
> I am actually using the 'fixed grid' data files in netCDF put out via LDM,
> which I think means I'm not using the NOAAPort files that have the
> remap-twice problem.

Excellent!  I mentioned the 2xremapping for two reasons:

- question about NOAAPort sectors that have had a 2nd remap applied

- loss of information whenever remaps are applied

  This includes the original remap into the Fixed Grid projection.

re:
> But, I'm also taking those files and re-mapping them myself using NCL into
> the same exact grid as HRRR model from the CONUS (RadC) scans.  Thus, I am
> making a Lambert Conformal final 3km re-mapped dataset myself.  Those are
> the sat images you can view on the RAL-weather/satellite page starting
> around 2018Jan08.

OK.

re:
> Next question if I can tag one onto the last.  I've been trying to do
> similar NCL re-map code (which calls ESMF-regridder) for the full disk
> (RadF) files into a near equivalent grid spacing of 1km for channels 1-3,
> and 2km for all other channels of a regular interval, lat/lon projection.
> However, trying to remap the incredible size of RadF into a slightly
> smaller 'window/domain' region with such high resolution (1/60 degree)
> fails for me with NCL.  ESMF-regridder just isn't workable for these
> massive grids.

The images are pretty large, especially band (channel) 2 VIS due to
its 500 m resolution.

re:
> So, rather than NCL, I have also tried GDAL software, combining
> gdal_translate with gdalwarp.  This is also not going as well as I would
> like.
>
> Might you have a suggestion for rapid-running software to remap the RadF
> into a grid of my choice, regular-spaced lat/lon to high resolution such as
> 1/60degree?  I prefer that spacing because it would be approx. 1.1km, so
> nearly equiv to the incoming data resolution of the vis channels.

Since regridding is not something that we ordinarily do outside of some
package (e.g., McIDAS-X and in Python), I don't have any good references
for where to look for fast, efficient software.  This may be the kind
of question best posed to the address@hidden email list as
others may be attempting to do something similar to what you are doing.

re:
> Thanks.

No worries.

Ticket ID: OIZ-367680