[IDV #DPO-530342]: Getting Access to Historical GFS Data

> Full Name: Xinyu Zhang
> Email Address: address@hidden
> University
> Operating System: Windows 8.1
> Hardware: Java: home: D:\IDV_5.2\jre version: 1.8.0_45
> j3d:1.6.0-pre9-daily-experimental daily
> Description of problem:

Hi Xinyu,

re:
> I'm a senior student working on my graduate paper 'Analysis on the
> Meteorological Driving Forces of Regional Haze Weather'. What I'm
> trying to do is comparing the synoptic system in Shenyang, China  with
> the model of air pollutant difusion and finding out  how the synoptic
> system influence the dispersion of air pollutant causes haze weather
> and which meteorological factor is the most important driving force of
> these pollutant.
>
> We only have the air quality data in Jan, 2014 so we need matched GFS
> data to analyse the connection between weather and difusion of air
> pollutant. However, I can only find very recent GFS data through your
> website. So I was wondering that would it be possible to get accese to
> historical GFS data, in this case, the data of Jan 2014? Are there any
> way to apply for it?
>
> This thesis is really important for me. I would appreciate it if you
> could offer any support.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much.

We, Unidata Program Center/UCAR, do not maintain a long term archive
of any environmental data.  Your best bet is to visit:

National Centers for Environmental Information
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/

as they are the U.S. agency responsible for maintaining meteorological
data archives.

A quick look at the NCEI web site suggests you should look in:

Data Access -> Model -> Datasets

We wish you the best of luck in your research work!

Ticket ID: DPO-530342
Department: Support Datastream