[LDM #UUA-284047]: Missing International METAR Stations

Hi Shawn,

re:
> I have a question about the international METARS arriving through the LDM,
> specifically
> for the country of Chile in my case.  I have noticed that only about 23 of
> the possible 49
> sites for Chile (ID: SCSC) are being reported in the SCSC METAR file.  I know
> that some of
> these sites do not report hourly or are currently inactive, but even when
> they do report,
> the METAR is not getting reported in the file.

How is this file being populated?

re:
> Are these sites just being filtered out
> before my feed picks the file up?

No, at least not on our end.  The observations being forwarded by the LDM in one
or more datastreams come directly from the NOAAPORT Satellite Broadcast Network
(SBN).  We do not do anything to eliminate any of the data being received in
the SBN when relaying it in our Internet Data Distribution (IDD) system.

re:
> I have noticed that some places do receive these
> METARS, but I suspect that perhaps they are getting them directly from a
> NOAAPORT
> receiver.

??? "some places do receive these METARS"?  If they are getting the
data via the IDD and they are receiving everything, then the problem would
likely be related to the process that gathers the data on your side.
If these other places are getting their surface data from somewhere
other than the IDD, then it is likely to mean that the NWS is not
including the missing stations in the NOAAPORT SBN.

re:
> Is there any way to start including these sites in the LDM feed?

For years we have been trying to gain direct access to the Global
Telecommunications System (GTS) so that we could relay all of the
data being collected internationally.  Our attempts so far have
not been successful due to a variety of policies in the NWS, but
we intend to keep on trying.

If you could provide more definitive information on things you allude
to above, we might be able to track down exactly where the data you
are looking for is being excluded (again, we exclude nothing from
our IDD feeds).

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.