[Datastream #SXB-674928]: GOES East West imagery...

Hi Gilles,

re:
> I finally did it right for having the blue-marble as background with
> East-West IR sat imagery (see pic below),

Excellent, congratulations!

re:
> Last question:
>
> When I zoom in the region of central western Mexico the map is obviously
> pixeled...

Yes, the Blue Marble static option for the background map has a fixed
resolution, so zooming in will show pixelation.

re:
> So here goes my question,
>
> Can I import a higher resolution picture as back ground map for Mexico? I
> don't know, lets say from Google Earth or something like that

I believe that this is possible, but I don't know how to do it off
of the top of my head.  I think that it might be one of the topics
in the IDV training workshop materials that are accessible online
in the IDV portion of our web site, but I can't swear to this.

As far as using a picture from somewhere else.

re:
> I guess I would have to geo-locate the image/map or something like that...

Yes.  If the picture has a simple Lat,Lon projection, the IDV can be
used to add navigation to it.  This action can be found in the Formulas
option when you open the un-navigated picture from the chooser.  You
will have to know the latitudes and longitudes of the corners of the
picture, of course.

re:
> Please let me know if you know of any link or post that would help on that
> subject,

If you want to create a composite with a high resolution Blue Marble background,
you can change from the static Blue Marble to the dynamic one.  The challenge
with this is that the resolution grabbed from the web service that makes the
dynamic Blue Marble available (a NASA site, I believe) will depend on the
areal coverage of your display.  Zooming in will get you a much higher
resolution
background, but it will not cover as much of the scene you might be interested
in.  The other challenge with the dynamic Blue Marble background is that
each time you change the zoom, the IDV will go back out to the web service
(which gets VERY busy) and ask for a new image.  This can fail when the
machine hosting the service gets too busy.

re:
> Thanks again,

No worries.

Ticket ID: SXB-674928