MRMS Operational at NCEP -- ending NSSL MRMS data service

Hi everyone,

This email is directed at MRMS data service users (once referred to as NMQ/Q2 or WDSS-II depending on your source).  If you use only the MRMS QVS site (http://nmq.ou.edu  or  http://mrms.ou.edu), please disregard.

MRMS is now running operationally at NCEP, and we are starting the process of ending our data service from the NSSL research and development MRMS.

As a data service user, you currently have permission to grab data from 140.172.25.182 via LDM or HTTP.  The dominant data format is the native MRMS binary format along with some supplemental specialty formats.   We will be ending this service on March 1, 2015.

In order to continue receiving MRMS data, you will need to request data from the operational system.  To request access please contact NCEP Central Operations by sending email to

  address@hidden

Please use "MRMS Data Request" in your subject line.  You'll need to provide your IP address and contact name, phone number and email address.

At this time the only method for data transfer is LDM (http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/).

The operational data will be formatted and organized differently.  All grids are CONUS (no more tiled products).  The data format is GRIB2 (along with some supplemental specialty formats).  We understand this is a big change and are working on ways to support users during this transition.  Please see the following Google doc for important information about the differences between the NSSL research and NCEP operational MRMS systems and for information about MRMS GRIB2 data.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LeVcn_taIXZgzZb5JgWqaVr0xVs7GmA6RpHcb8ZGiwk/edit?usp=sharing

This document will be updated as the transition progresses.

Thank you,
Carrie Langston

Carrie Langston
CIMMS/OU and WRDD/NSSL
National Weather Center             Tel: 405-325-6473
120 David L. Boren Blvd
Norman, OK 73072