[Datastream #ZRG-608224]: SSEC neartime data archive

Hi Dave,

re:
> It appears that SSEC’s neartime GOES image archive
> on unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu<http://unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu>
> stopped archiving all imagery except antarctic images at
> 02Z on March 22.

Yes, that is when we (I) moved the generation of the Unidata-Wisconsin
images off of unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu and into a VM in the Amazon EC2
cloud.  unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu is a very old machine that will be
turned off as soon as we can get everyone who is still using it
moved to other machines.

re:
> Any idea what is going on there?

Yes, this is a result of the movement of the generation point for
Unidata-Wisconsin imagery.

I need to get together with Mike Schmidt to finalize the strategy
for moving the Unidata-Wisconsin archive off of unidata2 and
onto another machine.  Unfortunately, numerous Unidata folks are
not in the office this week because of Spring Break (people with
children are taking time off to be with their families), so
I have not been able to have the needed discussion(s).

I just tried to open up FTP access on our Amazon instance, but
an FTP attempt from my home system went nowhere -- I need Mike
to open up things at a more fundamental level than the VM firewall.

Question:

- was your FTP attempt made to back fill files missed because of some
  sort of a problem with getting them via the LDM/IDD (LDM/IDD is
  the delivery method we prefer for real-time data)?

  If yes, I could transfer the files you want/need to some other
  machine for you to grab.  But, see the comments below for other
  options.

Comments:

- our motherlode clones (adde.ucar.edu, atm.ucar.edu, and
  unidata2-new.ssec.wisc.edu) have many days of Unidata-Wisconsin
  data available, so you could grab the images from any one of
  them using ADDE (via the IDV, for instance)

- the directory trees that store the multiple days of Unidata-Wisconsin
  data are available via the web on our motherlode clones

  Here is one example:

  http://motherlode.ucar.edu
    -> Decoded data archives: http://motherlode.ucar.edu/decoded/
       -> gempak -> areas

  Following the links above will leave you in a place where subdirectories
  contain all of the images sent in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream.
  Since motherlode.ucar.edu has about 30 days of this data, you should
  be able to find what you need.

Ticket ID: ZRG-608224
Department: Support Datastream