[Datastream #KWH-516898]: CALIPSO satellite images (HDF)

Hi Aranxa,

We reviewed the images and HDF data file that you sent this afternoon.

Here are comments based on what we saw:

- the error shown in HDFXError.png indicates that a needed program,
  javaw.exe, can not be found

A quick Google search for javaw.exe show the following in one of the
links:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-us/3c2be4fe-7633-4933-96db-60a15ec24413/javawexe-file-missing

  javaw.exe is an executable which is part of the Oracle Java Runtime
Environment (JRE).

  You are probably receiving this error because an application dependent on
Java has been installed
  and is a Startup program. It is also possible, in case, you un-installed
Java; that though Java was
  removed, this entry was left in the startup registry entries.

  To fix the error

  1. Easiest solution - Download and install Java.

  2. Press Windows key + R, type msconfig and press Enter > Startup tab.

  Now,

  a - if javaw.exe is in the list, uncheck it > Click OK > Restart to see if
issue is fixed.

  b - if javaw.exe is not present; try unchecking any suspicious entries >
Click OK > Restart.
      If issue is not fixed; re-check the entry you unchecked and then uncheck
another entry > OK > Restart.
      Keep doing so until you find the culprit - leave it unchecked.

I see that you are running 64-bit Windows 7 on your ASUS computer.  This
matches the
Windows installation on my laptop, so perhaps I can try and mimic what you are
trying to do and give you my feedback.

Questions:

- is Java installed on your Windows 7 machine?

  It may have been at one time and then either removed or disabled.  I say this
  because about a year ago Microsoft implemented informing Windows users about
  the potential problems in running Java especially in web browsers.

- what application were you trying to run when you got the error shown in the
  HDFXError.png picture?

  I _think_ you are trying to run HDFView, but I am not sure.

Comments:

- we used the IDV to open the HDF file you provided, but the structure of the
  file does not lend itself to good/full use by generic applications like the
IDV

  This is because the fields in the data file are missing lots of information
  like useful variable attributes and well defined/understandable dimensions.

- since I think you were trying to run HDFView, I downloaded and installed it
  on my Windows 7 laptop

  I have no problems reading the HDF file you sent and producing line plots
  of various fields in the application.  Since I don't know much about your
  data file OR HDFView, I was not able to do more sophisticated processing
  of the data with the application.

So, the question is if you are trying to run HDFView and are running into
problems?  If yes, I can perhaps help you get the application running on
your Windows 7 machine.

Ticket ID: KWH-516898
Department: Support Datastream