[Datastream #CUY-806144]: NIDS Level III

Hi Gary,

re:
> We were preparing to perform post storm analysis with respect to the
> weekend tornadoes and we noticed that the Unidata Level 3 short term
> radar archive directory at
>
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?native/radar/level3/N0Q
>
> still lists radar sites but the radar site directories are all empty.

Thanks for reporting this; it indicates that the scouring we are doing
in the level3 subdirectories is not removing empty directories.  This is
now corrected.

re:
> We did notice a directory at
>
> http://motherlode.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/ldm/genweb?native/radar/level3/nexrad
>
> which appears to contain the archive.

Correct for the NEXRAD Level 3 products.

re:
> When we adjusted our software
> to accommodate this new path (from "level3/N0Q" to "level3/nexrad/N0Q"
> our software appears to locate the NIDS files but we are getting errors
> opening the files.

This was the correct action.

re:
> So it appears the archive has been relocated to a "nexrad" subdirectory?

Yes, exactly.  The TDWR stations were separated from the NEXRAD stations
and are now written into .../tdwr/... subdirectories.

re:
> We're still trying to get our software to open the files.
>
> Has the NIDS file format changed in any way?

No, the file formats have not changed.

re:
> Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> <later>
>
> GOOD NEWS - we're back up and running - had a few more file paths to
> update in our N0Q, N0S, and N0C decoding software.

Excellent, we're glad to hear that you are back up and running!

re:
> So, it appears that as long as we add the "nexrad" designator to the
> file paths we are back in business and can proceed with analysis of the
> weekend storms.

Very good.

re:
> Wonder why the archive was moved?

There is only a partial overlap in the Level 3 products reported by NEXRAD and
TDWR
stations, so the set of products available from each station is not necessarily
the same.  Separating NEXRAD and TDWR station directory hierarchies makes it
easier/more sensible to serve/use one or the other of the data sets.

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: CUY-806144