[Datastream #VTL-983286]: antarctic composite

Hi Don,

re:
> I was running one of my bundles today:
>
> http://ramadda.psd.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/repository/entry/get/antarctica.xidv?entryid=8a7479fe-31b9-446a-8c52-effdf0c68156
>
> and noticed that the number of antarctic images I get is less than I was
> getting when I made the bundle.  I haven't run this for a while, but was
> wondering if this was the shortening of the data retention made a while
> ago, or further sequestration has been imposed.

No, there should be 96 of the most recent images in the "current" set;
this number was not reduced during the overall reduction in number
of days to keep on motherlode (due to rapidly decreasing amount of
available disk space).  I just logged into adde.ucar.edu (aka motherlode)
and see that the reception of the Antarctic composites has been spotty
at best for quite awhile.  The same thing is true for the Mollweide IR
and WV products.  At the same time, the store of Antarctic composites
available on atm.ucar.edu, where I created and am running a backup to the
Unidata-Wisconsin datastream in test mode, is what it should be.  This
would seem to indicate a problem in the source of the Unidata-Wisconsin
images, unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu.  I will need to investigate!

Also, in case you are interested, I have been lobbying (Mike) to
move the creation of the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream to "the cloud"
(we have a virtual machine in Amazon's EC2).  I also want to stage the
full Unidata-Wisconsin archive in "the cloud" and use it to test how
much traffic might be generated by free and open access to a long-term,
but not large, satellite data archive.  What do you think?

Ticket ID: VTL-983286
Department: Support Datastream