[Datastream #TMK-818342]: Fwd: imager problems with GOES_E?

Hi Greg,

re:
> Images from GOES-East are looking very noisy. See this morning's
> 1615 image attached.

> Are you guys moving the antenna around?

We have not touched the GOES-East dish in a _long_ time.

re:
> - this looks like a reception problem on our end.

The image is certainly bad.

Questions:

- are you seeing problems at certain time(s) of the day, or
  was it just the 16:15 image today?

  If yes, what time(s) are exhibiting problems?

- are you seeing problems with a certain band (wavelength
  channel)?

  If yes, which band(s)?

- what system was used to display the image

  It seems like the choices would be TeraScan, the IDV or McIDAS-X

Comments:

- I just put up a loop of the 20 most recent GOES-East 10.7 um IR images
  for all images that are classified as Northern Hemisphere (EAST/NH)
  in McIDAS-X, and all of the images are completely clean (no dropouts, etc.)
  The time range of the loop is 08:15 - 17:45 UTC; the 16:15 image that
  I displayed looks perfect.

- the last time we saw a big change in the quality of images being ingested
  by the dishes in front of FL-2, we found out that the change was caused
  by ** presumably ** the people mowing the lawn around the mesh dishes.
  In that case, GOES-West ingest was knocked completely off of the air.
  It could be the case that a similar thing has happened with the GOES-East
  dish; I will visit the dish to see if there is any obvious sign that
  it has been hit and moved off of its alignment.

- you sent your email to Mike and my personal email addresses; my spam
  filter put your email in spam folder which I just happened to look
  at, and Mike is not in the office for the entire week.  Quite frankly,
  it was just by luck that I happened to check my spam folder and saw
  your email.

Request:

- in the future _please_ send inquiries like this to:

  address@hidden

  If you can't remember this particular email address, send the
  inquiry to address@hidden.

  By sending the question(s) to Unidata support, you will insure that
  someone will see your inquiry and respond.  If you send Mike and/or
  I personal email, you may get no answer due to situations like
  I described above.

Ticket ID: TMK-818342
Department: Support Datastream