[IDV #DAM-149634]: Download Archived GOES West Vis-Satellite Images

Hi Patrick,

Sorry for the slow reply...

re:
> Just wondering if there is any way within IDV to display archived
> GOES West visible satellite images.  Say from 2010?

The IDV can display data from archive datasets (e.g., group IMAGEALL
on adde.ucar.edu; UNIREC on unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu).  To my knowledge
there are no readily accessible archive satellite datasets that extend
back to 2012 ** except the ones maintained by UWisconsin/SSEC **; the
SSEC archive goes back to the beginning of the GOES program.

SSEC allows Unidata sites to access up to 5 GB of data from their
satellite archive per month for no charge.

Here is SSEC's ** draft/proposed ** policy for this data access:

Free archive data access to Unidata Site users: (proposed)

  The Unidata Community may register up to a total of 60 IP addresses
  with 5 GB of free data each.

  A Unidata Community member must register the client  IP address with
  the SSEC Data center.  Addresses expire each month and must be renewed
  to regain access.

  Each University site user is allowed only 1 IP address,  but there may
  be several unique site users at each University.

  Each site user is allowed up to 5 GB of free access via ADDE for each
  IP address per calendar month.

  Free Data access is limited to data older than the current month.

  Questions regarding data access will be handled by the SSEC Data Center.
  Questions regarding the use of Unidata McIDAS-X, or IDV will be redirected
  to Unidata Support.  Questions on satellite data use will be redirected
  to Unidata Support.

  Conditions:

  - All data accessed through this free service shall be used for
    non-commercial uses.

  - All communications with SSEC must be from a valid .EDU address.

  - All IP address must reside in the member's University domain.

  - All Unidata Users requesting access will be reported to Unidata at
    the end of the month, and the number of bytes of data used.

  Unidata Community Member wishing to get access must provide:

  Name
  Institution
  Software intended to be used (i.e. IDV, Unidata McIDAS-X, McIDAS-V)
  IP address of client
  Intended use of data
  Satellites/datasets of interest

To request access to the SSEC data archive, a site representative should
send a request that includes all of the information required above to:

Data Center <address@hidden>

Please let us know if you/UWyo have questions about the SSEC service described
above.

Ticket ID: DAM-149634
Department: Support Datastream