[LDM #JKQ-274656]: NAM data question

Hi Gerry,

re:
> I'm trying to get the NAM 12km data in for a Warn on Forecast exercise. The
> NAM 12km data on CONDUIT are surface fields only. Looks like the NAM data
> in NGRID are 3d with some surface fields. In looking at ftpprd.ncep.noaa.gov,
> the NGRID files appear to be considerably smaller than the awphys files
> (NAM 12, 3d) files found on the FTP site.
>
> Any idea what the difference is?

No, not really.  The NWS chooses the models and fields from those models for
NOAAPort based on WFO needs.  From my observation, the GRIB2 messages are
wrapped
with some additional information (by Raytheon?) before being sent in NOAAPort.
The IDD NGRID feed populated by the nwstg2 products being sent in NOAAPort.

Questions:

- have you tried comparing sizes of individual fields for the exact same
  day/time from the FTP site and in NGRID?

- can you provide a URL for the FTP site you are referring to?

Comment:

- the CONDUIT content can be changed if there is general agreement by
  the CONDUIT community, AND if there is enough bandwidth to accommodate
  increased volumes of data

  If the fields needed are not available in CONDUIT or NGRID, you may want
  to start a campaign to get them added to CONDUIT.  I would start this
  by sending a note to the address@hidden email list.

Ticket ID: JKQ-274656
Department: Support Datastream