[Datastream #POH-579309]: Question about access to old satellite imagery

Hi Oscar,

re:
> I hope you're well.

I am well, thanks.  I hope the same is true for you too!

The only big news right now is of a fire that is burning just outside of
Boulder.  The NCAR Mesa Lab is currently shutdown due to an evacuation
because of the fire.  Those of us who have offices in the Foothills labs
are not currently being affected, nor is my house, but things can change
due to the extremely dry winter and spring we have had.

re:
> I'm sorry for don't write before, I remember you  with
> great appreciation. I would like to take the occasion to ask you about if
> is possible to download old files of satellite imagery. This is because
> yesterday there was a strong storm and the university and various sectors
> of the city were left without electric power for several hours our server's
> went off and we lost the data for all this time.
>
> There are some way to recover this data?

You can access the imagery in a couple of different ways:

- programmaticly using McIDAS or the IDV from the ADDE
  servers:

  server     - adde.ucar.edu
  group      - RTIMAGES
  descriptor - GE-IR, GE-VIS, etc., GW-IR, GW-VIS, etc.

  server     - adde.ucar.edu
  group      - IMAGEALL
  descriptor - GE-IR, GE-VIS, etc., GW-IR, GW-VIS, etc.

  server     - unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
  group      - UNIARC
  descriptor - GE-IR, GE-VIS, etc., GW-IR, GW-VIS, etc.

- by passive FTP

  machine    - unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
  user       - xxxxx
  pass       - xxxxx
  directory  - neartime/<ccyymmdd>

NB:

- the RTIMAGES dataset contains the most recent 96 images of each type
  of image sent in the IDD UNIWISC datastream.  Since the images are
  nominally every half hour, this is essentially two days of data,
  so it may cover the time period you are interested in.

- The IMAGEALL and UNIARC datasets are "archive datasets".  This means that one
  must specify the DAY that is desired.  The IDV pops-up a dialog through which
  one can select the day of the data you want.

- the images that one can FTP from unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu are in McIDAS AREA
  file format.  The meanings of the file names is explained in:

  Unidata HomePage
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

    Data
    http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data

      Archived Data
      http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/#archived

        UNIWISC IDD Datastream
        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/unirec.html

re:
> Thanks for any help that you can give me.

No worries.

re:
> Say hello for me to Steven, Tyna and the all team of Unidata

I will do this when I see them.  Steve should be in to work today,
but Tina is out of town at the moment.

Ticket ID: POH-579309
Department: Support Datastream