[Datastream #SFA-317700]: Fwd: Unidata NLDN Question

Hi Kristin,

Stefan forwarded us the question you sent to him regarding the binary
format of NLDN data:

> I'm out in Kansas at my field campaign and am trying to read binary
> files of NLDN data using IDL.  I've never tried reading binary data
> before and have been using the typical read_binary or openr/readu
> commands.  The values that are being printed out don't look right and
> I've stumped both Dale and Tim as to what is going wrong.

We don't have any IDL expertise, so our responses will need to be limited
to information on the NLDN format itself,

re:
> Also, when I search the web for the format of the binary files for
> NLDN, Unidata has two different web sites with slightly different
> versions of what the format of the variables is.

I was unaware that we have two different sets of information on the
NLDN format.  Can you send us the URLs so we can get rid of the one
that should not be there, or update it if it is incorrect?  TIA...

re:
> So I was curious if
> you have ever read binary data before or if you know of anyone at
> Unidata that might be able to help me?

The information in the following is correct/current:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data
  http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data