[Support #JLK-672206]: GOES full disk imagery in NOAAPort or IDD

Hi Matt,

re:
> thanks! that's a lot to digest :)

:-)

re:
> While I do that, could you let me know which of the "U" product codes
> corresponds to the composited SH views?

I guess I was not clear enough to point out that the East sectors will
be labeled as being from GOES-13 (which is now GOES-East).  This is what I
was trying to say in the following piece of the previous email:

  This listing shows that the Product IDs for East sectors look like:

  pnga2area Q3 UV 142 GOES-13_IMG 0.65um 4km 20111229 1445
  pnga2area Q3 UD 1222 GOES-13_IMG 3.9um 4km 20111229 1445
  pnga2area Q3 UW 212 GOES-13_IMG 6.5um 4km 20111229 1445
  pnga2area Q3 UI 152 GOES-13_IMG 10.7um 4km 20111229 1445
  pnga2area Q3 UE 1232 GOES-13_IMG 13.3um 4km 20111229 1445

  One could key on a couple of different items in the Product ID:

  - McIDAS product code ** for East sectors ** - UV, UD, UW, UI, UE
  - satellite - GOES-13_IMG

And, these East sectors are the ones that contain South America coverage
provided by GOES-12 in addition to coverage by GOES-East.

re:
> I don't see that described anywhere
> and it would simplify things for me to just pull that set of data and have a
> quick look at that.
> I know how to pull the UNIWISC as a whole but I'd like
> to know which part is the SH GOES12/GOES 13 composite.

Please see above.

re:
> Or is it the one with the wonderfully lucky name "COMPOSITE"?

No, they are labeled as GOES-13.

Please note:

The images in the UNIWISC datastream are not pristine McIDAS AREA files.
The image portion (not the header of the comment cards at the end) are
PNG-compressed.  Unidata's McIDAS, GEMPAK, IDV and SSEC's McIDAS-V applicatins
know how to handle these images directly.  If you are using some other
application
to look at the images, then they will need to be uncompressed using the
ldm-mcidas utility 'pnga2area' which returns the image to a pristine
AREA file.

One other comment:  If you run the IDV (or McIDAS or McIDAS-V), you can take
a look at the sectors through remote ADDE transactions to servers like
adde.ucar.edu, adde.cise-nsf.gov, and others.  All of the GOES images
in the UNIWISC datastream are available in the RTIMAGES dataset on these
servers.  The East sectors are labeled so that they are easy to recognize:

GOES-East 0.65 um Visible
GOES-East 3.9 um short IR
GOES-East 6.5 um IR (Water Vapor)
GOES-East 10.7 um IR