[Datastream #GAL-265858]: Sounding data and the GTS

Hi Greg,

re:
> We are preparing for an upcoming field project in the Maldives this
> fall called DYNAMO. One of the upper-air stations we will be working
> closely with in this campaign is a station at Gan, Addu Atoll, Maldives.
> They have begun launching weather balloons there again after some
> absence. We have reports from collaborators that these data are being
> found on the GTS outside the US, notably in India, Spain and France.
> They are on the NWS http site: http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/raw/,
> but they do not seem to come across our LDM under the WMO feed type, as
> I'm listening for them but never seeing them come across. I also don't
> see these appearing on US weather websites with worldwide sounding info
> like UWyo.  The headers they are using appear to be:
>
> USMV01 VRMG - TTAA
> UKMV01 VRMG - TTBB
> ULMV01 VRMG - TTCC
> UEMV01 VRMG - TTDD
>
> Do you know how these products are routed through the US?

If the soundings are being added to the GTS but not being seen in the IDS|DDPLUS
feed of the IDD, it is almost 100% certain that the NWS is not adding the
sounding
products to NOAAPort (since the contents of IDS|DDPLUS are all of the products
received in the NOAAPort SBN).

I just did a search through the log files for everything we have received from
NOAAPort and processed into IDD datastreams in the past 24 hours, and none of
the products you list above were received.

re:
> I would assume if the NWS receives these files then they should appear on our
> LDM but this may be an incorrect assumption.

No.  Not all products available in the GTS are added by the NWS to NOAAPort.
This has long been a sore point for us and our ever increasing international
community.

re:
> How do I go about receiving these through our LDM?

The NWS would need to add the products to NOAAPort, and then you would get
them automatically.

re:
> I have the following set-up in my pqact.conf file that should be
> catching these:
>
> #
> # upper air reports
> #
> WMO     ^U[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTWXY]
> PIPE    dcuair -a 200 -b 24 -m 24
> -d logs/dcuair.log
> -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
> -s snstns.tbl
> data/gempak/upperair/uaYYYYMMDD.gem
>
> WMO     ^U[C-QS-Z].* .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])      FILE    -close
> data/weather/ddp/(\1:yyyy)(\1:mm)\1\2.UPP
> WMO     ^UKMV[0-9][0-9] .... ([0-3][0-9])([0-2][0-9])   FILE    -close
> data/weather/ddp/(\1:yyyy)(\1:mm)\1\2_maldives.UPP

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: GAL-265858