[Datastream #TMP-644409]: lightning data

Hi Anne,

re: lightning data archive
> Thanks very much for your answer. I realize that I asked the wrong question.
> What I really would like is archived lightning data with high time resolution.
> Does unidata distribute such data?

No, not really.  We do not archive any data in the traditional sense.  We do,
however, maintain a multi-day "rolling archive" of just about all of the
data that is available in the Unidata Internet Data Distribution (IDD) system,
and that data is made generally available.  The lightning data (both the NLDN
data from Vaisala that is distributed by the University of Albany, and the
USPLN that is distributed by WSI corporation) is different from the other
types of data, however, since its redistribution is restricted by its owner.
Since we are part of the same organization (UCAR/NCAR), we should be able to
make lightning data we have available to you (but we will need to check with
the data owners to make 100% sure).  We can not, however, make it available to
entities outside of the organization, and its further redistribution by
groups in the organization is restricted.

re:
> If so, how can I find out more about it to
> see if it fits my need?

We have a varying number of days of lightning data that could be made available:

NLDN  - about two weeks but the set has big holes in it
USPLN - January 1, 2011 - May 17 2011

The NLDN data is in a binary format; the USPLN data is in ASCII.  The
form and content of the data is described in:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#lightning

Ticket ID: TMP-644409
Department: Support Datastream