[IDV #ILU-880840]: Help! The old NAM data have also disappeared from the Unidata LEAD server

Hi Dave,

re:
> Well, I'm really not sure what's going on.  In a continuation of my
> previous support request (ECR-621104: Subject: Help!  The old GFS data
> have disappeared from the Unidata LEAD Server), I started recreating the
> weather forecast displays I need for the training module I'm working on,
> substituting NAM data for GFS data.  Specifically, I need CONUS forecast
> data out to 24 hours for 2 forecast cycles, one beginning 01 April 2010,
> 1200Z, the other beginning 02 April 2010, 1200Z.  I can use either GFS or
> NAM output, but GFS is preferred.  I tried recreating the displays last
> night using NAM data rather than GFS, but in the middle of doing so (I
> think it was around 9:00 p.m. MDT) the NAM data for these dates
> disappeared from the server -- all grib data sets older than 29 April had
> been purged.  When I went back and looked at things this morning, just
> looking at the NAM CONUS 80 km data, they go back to 29 April, then there's
> a long break in the data, then there's another block of grib data sets
> from 23 July 2009 to 22 January 2009.

It appears that you got caught by a change we made to the number of days
we are keeping online on the LEAD datastore.  We decided to make this
change to make room for 0.25 degree GFS which we believed would become
available in the 4th quarter of this year (we have since learned that
it will not become available before November, 2011).

re:
> Is there any way somone can restore
> the grib data sets for all of April 2010?

No, this data is not backed up on other media.

At this point, the best thing to do is to get the data off of NCDC's NOMADS
servers.  April's data is recent enough that you may be able to get it
quickly.

Sorry for pulling the rug out from underneath you!

Ticket ID: ILU-880840
Department: Support Datastream