[Datastream #ZYW-866846]: Re: Unidata archive data request

> Hello,
> Thanks and sorry to be a nudge, just wasn't sure if I was
> emailing the right address.  So, I now have access to the
> data.  However, I'm not exactly sure how to handle it...I
> would like to bring the .goes11vis files into matlab in a
> geo-referenced manner.  I don't know the file format of
> the files or how to manipulate them?  From reading around
> it looks like I need to install McIDAS and format the
> files as ADDE?? Is that right?  Or is there an easier way
> to bring them straigt into a matlab environment?  Or maybe
> I should be getting the files/satellite data from another
> place?
>
> THanks again
> John Hurley

Hi John,

SSEC generally provides the sat imagery as AREA files, they also provide GINI,
and GVAR, so I do not know what you downloaded and are deealing with :)

It is my understanding that MATLAB supports AREA files, and I ~believe GINI and
GVAR as well.

Perhaps you can find out from SSEC which files you downloaded, altho I suspect
they are AREA files unless you specifically requested another format. I see
SSEC is still cc'd on these messages, perhaps they will chime in...and maybe
they have manipulated AREA files in MATLAB, I see someone at SSEC is doing it:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~wimmers/

Hope this helps,

Jeff
Jeff Weber