[Datastream #KSS-772638]: 3-D radar mosaic?

Hi Chris,

re:
> Some time ago at a Usercomm meeting we had a presentation on NSSL's
> effort to build a CONUS scale mosaic out of the Level II radar data.  Is
> this product available in real-time?

NSSL is sending the product to NCAR/RAL, and we used to get it from
them.  We (Chiz) ran into a number of issues with the data most of
which I am not versed enough to expound on.  One thing I do remember
well is that uncompressing the images was a huge task that routinely
took our internal processing machine (shemp) down to its knees.  The
other thing that Chiz pointed out on a number of occasions was
that the algorithm being used to eliminate "noise" was actually getting
rid of signatures from things like gust fronts from large convective
systems.  Since it is routinely observed that new convective activity
can be kicked off by these kind of gust fronts, we were not pleased
that they were getting removed as "noise".  This situation may well
have changed, however.  I haven't looked at the data in quite some
time.

> (We have disk space and
> bandwidth.)  Do we have a point of contact at NSSL to talk about the
> product and the possibility of using some of their code to merge data
> that we have archived?

Since Chiz was the point person on this, we will need to spin-up someone
to be able to answer your questions fully.

> I'm interested in this for a couple of different reasons, but one of the
> biggest is to build a mock of what an airborne radar (in a commercial
> flight) might see for use in some research at NASA Langley.  Another
> might be for data assimilation in WRF models - if the ability to do that
> exists (or can be created with modest effort).  Finally, I think there
> may be some educationally utility to such a product in our classrooms
> using the IDV.

Please be aware that the products are very large, so using them in the
IDV may be problematic unless you have a 64-bit machine with lots of
memory.

Question:

- are you going to be here next week for the Unidata 25th anniversary?

If yes, let's get together and talk more about the NSSL data.  If no,
we will need to start re-spinning up on the data.

Ticket ID: KSS-772638
Department: Support Datastream