[Datastream #HFQ-598802]: GOES Composites

Hi Jim,

re:
> I finally saw a full image, but the time to see the latest
> composite image using real-time ADDE pointing to the most
> current composite area file is extremely limited. I kept on
> checking and finally got a full composite, but a few minutes
> after the composite was available, the next GOES W-IR comes in
> and you only get that GOES-W part of the composite.

There should be two East/West composites created each hour.  I
checked adde.ucar.edu (aka motherlode.ucar.edu) yesterday evening
and saw that only one composite is being created.  This indicates
that the compositing script needs some refinement (it was created
in the era when the Unidata-Wisconsin images were sent out once per
hour).

> So, during most of an hour (~50 minutes total-estimated), one
> would only get the partial composite.

Right.  This needs tweaking.

< Could this somehow be set up in a temporary file, until a complete
> composite is ready?

I will look into the best way to do this this week.

The other thought I had awhile ago was to do the East/West
compositing at the source (unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu; the machine that
creates the Unidata-Wisconsin datastream).  This would give complete
control over the creation of the composite and better match the
GOES-East/GOES-10 compositing that is done for the East sectors.

More as I work through what it will take to redo the compositing...

Ticket ID: HFQ-598802
Department: Support Datastream